Thursday, August 30, 2012

Memory Lane

Everyone always comments on what a big family I have. Yes, I do. I'm very lucky to have so many. A big family brings many family events such as birthdays and weddings but it also brings more funerals than average.We were just realizing last night that there have been five or more in the last 18 months. Some have been expected, while others are a surprise.
I find it interesting all of the funny memories you think of when you sit with family and remember a loved one during a grieving period. It's not like a holiday, when everyone is in rush mode getting things done. It is more of a relaxed time when families share memories of loved ones.
This weekend, we lay my uncle Todd to rest. He was only 52 (12 years older than me). When I was young, I stayed so much with my grandparents, I thought he and his siblings were my brothers and sister. He struggled with cancer for several years, but lost his life in a car accident. I saw old photographs and heard many new stories about Todd that brought a smile to my face. May he rest in peace, and always be remembered.
This photo was his last, taken last Monday with his daughter Ashley.

No comments: